AppleHDA Kext Patching for OS X Update Proof
Hello Everyone ,
I was using Piker method to patch AppleHDA from he introduced DummyHDA methods which suffers from OS X Updates and makes your audio hassle free, now he also introduced a new method and AppleHDA8Series.sh will retain your audio as it is but only one limitation i found with piker script this only supports codec which AppleHDA is patched by Toleda and others users are not able to get this.
Now I’m making a guide for every codec and a new method introduced by Piker Alpha which make patching AppleHDA so easy and OS X Update proof everyone can do it easily. No need to Clover bootloader patches for AppleHDA.
Also I don’t take credit for all this information entirely except for appreciation on writing this guide
This guide will explain how to make or patch AppleHDA to work as it is after OS X Updates and will retain your sound/audio was before .No need to clover patches for AppleHDA .just one time patch and long time usage . In this guide I’m Using ALC887-VD and its my audio codec as example.
- Vanilla AppleHDA (Non-Patched AppleHDA which is in System/Library/Extensions )
- Patched AppleHDA.kext ( Download it from Mirone Repo & My Repo )
- FakeSMC.kext ( Kozlek or Slice FakeSMC Editions ) if you have already installed it make sure its in System/Library/Extensions
- App for Editing plist file use Xcode or PlistEditorPro or BBEdit.
Note : Patched AppleHDA = AppleHDA is Working Perfectly on your system , i assume you are using it. otherwise you will have same issue likewise having before with AppleHDA.
I have divided this guide in three section to make it more clear for everyone
Section 1 : Making of AppleHDALoader.kext
1. Open Terminal:
2. Type in the following:
mkdir -m 755 -p "$HOME/Desktop/AppleHDALoader.kext/Contents/Resources"
3. Press Enter.
Section 2 : Working with AppleHDALoader.kext
Now we need to use Patch AppleHDA first of all determine which Layout_id is using , for example in Guide I’m using Patched AppleHDA for ALC887 which uses Layout_ID = 1 to 9 see following
1. Open AppleHDA.kext navigate to
2.Copy all layoutxx.xml.zlib and Platforms.xml.zlib file and Paste it to
3. Now Copy MacOS folder from Patched AppleHDA
and Paste it to
4. Now Copy Info.plist from AppleHDA
and Paste it to
5. Now Open Info.plist with Xcode or Plist EditorPro
6. Now change Bundle version and Bundle versions string, short in Info.plist just use 9 before kext version which is 269.25 or something start with 9 like following
Note : Remember till now we are using Patched AppleHDA.kext
Section 3 : Working with FakeSMC.kext
1.Open FakeSMC.kext and look for info.plist and open it with PlistEditorPro or Xcode
2.Now goto Patched AppleHDA and navigate to following and Open info.plist
3.Copy all the value here: like Following
IOKitPersonalities/HDA Hardware Config Resource to to in FakeSMC /:
IOKitPersonalities/HDA Hardware Config Resource
4. this will appear as following :
5.Now open FakeSMC.kext and Navigate to
and make a new folder named as PlugIns
6. Now Copy AppleHDALoader.kext to PlugIns folder
That’s it now just Reinstall FakeSMC.kext to S/L/E using iKext or Kext Wizard,rebuild cache/repair permission then restart.You may need to restart once more to get the sound.
Note : if you have FakeSMC in EFI directory of clover please remove it and just install this to S/L/E. this method will won’t work if FakeSMC.kext and AppleHDA (Vanilla) will not present in S/L/E and loaded by system .
Additional Workarounds for KnowledgeBase
1.For info.plist in AppleHDALoader.kext you can use info.plist from Vanilla AppleHDA and editing info.plist will remain same as above .
2.For AppleHDA Binary you can use MacOS folder in Vanilla AppleHDA and copy it to AppleHDALoader.kext but keep in mind here you need to do a binary patch for it use this Guide AppleHDA Binary patching for Bin-patch
3.For Patched AppleHDA you can download already patched versions available from
Deepak Repo : Patched AppleHDA
Mirone Repo : AppleHDA
4. For Patching AppleHDA use this guide : Complete Guide to Patch AppleHDA